Friday 7 August 2015

Waterfalls

My last two days spent in Zambia were unforgettable. There were so many possibilities on what to do, it was hard to decide which activities to do in a short period of time. My family and I stayed in the Zambezi Sun, a hotel located in Livingstone (where the Victoria Falls are). From the same branch was another hotel, the Royal Livingstone located right next to our hotel. Both provided a great view and the people working there were both polite and helpful. You could do so much such as micro lighting, riding quad bikes, river safaris, riding segways, walking through the Victoria Falls, helicopter rides and that's not it. I'm here to tell you about all my experiences and great memories I made in Zambia. 

The first thing we did in Livingstone was run through the mist of the Victoria Falls. There were bridges and small places built near the Falls to look at them and enjoy the beautiful view. You can get pretty wet, so bring a poncho or a raincoat (available at the Falls and probably the hotel you are staying at). The Zambezi Sun had free, available ponchos meanwhile the ponchos right before the Falls adventure cost about 5 dollars. Be sure not to slip on the bridges or the viewing points across the falls. We actually passed through the falls twice. The first time I went with the only pair of shoes I had taken to the trip. Bad idea! My shoes ended up being soaked. The second time, we went barefoot. Again, not the best idea as it was uncomforable. The stones hurt my feet a bit. I'd take slippers or shoes that you don't mind getting wet. 

After a long day with the flights and the Falls, my family and I were quite hungry. We decided to take a shuttle to the Royal Livingstones. The shuttles were used to go to the Zambezi Sun and the Royal Livingstone (both hotels) and nearby locations for microlighting, quadbiking and more. There was a good variety of salads and burgers, mostly with beef (and I was never really a big fan of beef, so I didn't get the chance to try them). We ate right beside the Zambezi river, giving a great view to us while we ate. Later in the night, we got pretty hungry again so we ordered room servie. We got a margherita pizza, which was delicious. It was even better eating it while watching a movie on the televison. The next day, we decided to have the complimentary breakfast buffet with a variety of fruits, cereals, meat, eggs and more. For lunch, we stuck with the Royal Livingstone again, but this time with some milkshakes!

We used segways with a guide who took us around the two hotels. It was the first time for my whole family, though it wasn't difficult to learn. There were also segways in different sizes depending on your height. The next morning we even went quad biking. Everyone got their own quad bike, but you could share one if you wanted to. There were even shuttles that helped you get from place to place for free (of course if you stayed in one of the two hotels mentioned). Though, most places weren't too far from each other, so shuttle rides were also not too long. 

Overall, we had a great time full of amazing memories. I'd totally recommend this for a family vacation! 


No comments:

Post a Comment